Mohamed Abdel-Mohsen, Ph.D.
Mohamed Abdel-Mohsen, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor, Vaccine Center
- 215-898-3710, Office
The Abdel-Mohsen laboratory investigates the role of host-virus interactions in persistence and immunopathogenesis of HIV infection by combining virological, glycobiological, and immune-based basic and translational research. The multidisciplinary studies aim to develop novel approaches to enhance immune function and control/eradicate HIV.
The focus of the work in the lab is based on a combination of approaches including investigating the role of glycan-lectin interactions and altered cell-surface glycosylation in mediating cellular processes central to immune regulation and human diseases; designing multi-omics approaches to study host immune response to HIV infection; and developing and implementing robust and sensitive molecular biology-based assays to measure cellular and tissue HIV reservoirs.
Abdel-Mohsen’s research focuses on diverse aspects of HIV pathogenesis, including HIV latency, host-virus interactions, intrinsic immunity, and HIV sequence diversity. He joined The Wistar Institute as Assistant Professor in 2017 after completing his Ph.D. and postdoctoral training at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and the Blood Systems Research Institute (BSRI), where he was subsequently appointed as a research scientist. Previously, he was a virologist for the World Health Organization Regional Reference Laboratory for poliovirus in his home country of Egypt. He received the UCSF-Gladstone CFAR Early-Career Award of Excellence in Basic Science in 2015.
1. Leal FE, Premeaux TA, Abdel-Mohsen M and Ndhlovu LC. Role of Natural Killer Cells in HIV-Associated Malignancies. Front. Immunol. 2017. 8:315. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2017.00315 (Review).
2. Abdel-Mohsen M, Chavez L, Tandon R, Chew GM, Deng X, Danesh A, Keating S, Lanteri M, Samuels ML, Hoh R, Sacha JB, Norris PJ, Niki T, Shikuma CM, Hirashima M, Deeks SG, Ndhlovu LC, Pillai SK. Human Galectin-9 Is a Potent Mediator of HIV Transcription and Reactivation. PLoS Pathog. 2016 Jun 2;12(6):e1005677. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1005677. PubMed PMID: 27253379; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4890776.
3. Chew GM, Fujita T, Webb GM, Burwitz BJ, Wu HL, Reed JS, Hammond KB, Clayton KL, Ishii N, Abdel-Mohsen M, Liegler T, Mitchell BI, Hecht FM, Ostrowski M, Shikuma CM, Hansen SG, Maurer M, Korman AJ, Deeks SG, Sacha JB, Ndhlovu LC. TIGIT Marks Exhausted T Cells, Correlates with Disease Progression, and Serves as a Target for Immune Restoration in HIV and SIV Infection. PLoS Pathog. 2016 Jan 7;12(1):e1005349. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1005349. PubMed PMID: 26741490; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4704737.
4. Abdel-Mohsen M, Wang C, Strain MC, Lada SM, Deng X, Cockerham LR, Pilcher CD, Hecht FM, Liegler T, Richman DD, Deeks SG, Pillai SK. Select host restriction factors are associated with HIV persistence during antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 2015 Feb 20;29(4):411-20. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000000572. PubMed PMID: 25602681; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4385712.
5. Wang C, Abdel-Mohsen M, Strain MC, Lada SM, Yukl S, Cockerham LR, Pilcher CD, Hecht FM, Sinclair E, Liegler T, Richman DD, Deeks SG, Pillai SK. Decreased HIV type 1 transcription in CCR5-Δ32 heterozygotes during suppressive antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis. 2014 Dec 1;210(11):1838-43. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiu338. PubMed PMID: 24935955; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4271057.
6. Abdel-Mohsen M, Deng X, Danesh A, Liegler T, Jacobs ES, Rauch A, Ledergerber B, Norris PJ, Günthard HF, Wong JK, Pillai SK. Role of microRNA modulation in the interferon-α/ribavirin suppression of HIV-1 in vivo. PLoS One. 2014 Oct 2;9(10):e109220. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0109220. eCollection 2014 Oct 2. PubMed PMID: 25275557; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4183579.
7. Abdel-Mohsen M, Deng X, Liegler T, Guatelli JC, Salama MS, Ghanem Hel-D, Rauch A, Ledergerber B, Deeks SG, Günthard HF, Wong JK, Pillai SK. Effects of alpha interferon treatment on intrinsic anti-HIV-1 immunity in vivo. J Virol. 2014 Jan;88(1):763-7. doi: 10.1128/JVI.02687-13. Epub 2013 Oct 23. PubMed PMID: 24155399; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3911728.
8. Abdel-Mohsen M, Raposo RA, Deng X, Li M, Liegler T, Sinclair E, Salama MS, Ghanem Hel-D, Hoh R, Wong JK, David M, Nixon DF, Deeks SG, Pillai SK. Expression profile of host restriction factors in HIV-1 elite controllers. Retrovirology. 2013 Oct 16;10:106. doi: 10.1186/1742-4690-10-106. PubMed PMID: 24131498; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3827935.
9. Eriksson S, Graf EH, Dahl V, Strain MC, Yukl SA, Lysenko ES, Bosch RJ, Lai J, Chioma S, Emad F, Abdel-Mohsen M, Hoh R, Hecht F, Hunt P, Somsouk M, Wong J, Johnston R, Siliciano RF, Richman DD, O'Doherty U, Palmer S, Deeks SG, Siliciano JD. Comparative analysis of measures of viral reservoirs in HIV-1 eradication studies. PLoS Pathog. 2013 Feb;9(2):e1003174. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1003174. PubMed PMID: 23459007; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3573107.
10. Pillai SK, Abdel-Mohsen M, Guatelli J, Skasko M, Monto A, Fujimoto K, Yukl S, Greene WC, Kovari H, Rauch A, Fellay J, Battegay M, Hirschel B, Witteck A, Bernasconi E, Ledergerber B, Günthard HF, Wong JK; Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Role of retroviral restriction factors in the interferon-α-mediated suppression of HIV-1 in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Feb 21;109(8):3035-40. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1111573109. PubMed PMID: 22315404; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3286922.