Women & Science
The Women & Science Program is an initiative of The Wistar Institute that highlights the fundamental role played by basic and clinical research in addressing the scientific challenges related to women's health. The program features the contributions made by women scientists to biomedical research and raises funds to promote their work.
Speakers include Wistar scientists and renowned guest researchers who discuss topics such as cancer, aging, vaccines, immune disorders, allergies, HIV, and infectious diseases.
Women & Science participants will:
- MEET leading scientists and learn about emerging discoveries and biomedical advances that are improving the health and well-being of individuals worldwide.
- INCREASE their SCIENTIFIC LITERACY, which will enable them to make informed choices and play a more active role in their advocacy for women in science.
- ENGAGE with a network of women who share an interest in women’s health, science and biomedical research.
2019-2020 Schedule of Events
- November 20, 2019 – HPV Vaccine: What You Need to Know to Prevent Cancer
- February 20, 2020 – Pushing the Envelope in Cancer Immunotherapy
- April 22, 2020 – POSTPONED
Helen Dean King Award
The Helen Dean King Award was established in 2016 to honor women who have achieved distinction in biomedical research. The award is named after Dr. Helen Dean King – a well-respected geneticist and member of Wistar's research staff from 1908 to 1950. She was instrumental in breeding the first standardized laboratory model known as the Wistar rat, which is still used worldwide today.
The award is presented each year in conclusion of our Women & Science series to a distinguished guest who has made a difference with her outstanding research.
Learn more about the Women & Science Program.
Subscription Packages Available
Your contribution provides critical support for women scientists as they advance life-saving biomedical research. Each subscription package includes a tax-deductible contribution based on the price of the individual events selected.
Elizabeth McKee Anderson
Susan S. McDonald, Ph.D.
Bonnie Offit, M.D.
Helen P. Pudlin, Esq.
Adele K. Schaeffer
Constance & Sankey Williams
Marta & Robert Adelson
Ellen & Ron Caplan
Amy Fox & Dan Wheeler
Glenmede Trust Co.
Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Mary E. Bak
Louis & Katharine Padulo
David & Cindy Pelton
James Troyer & Kathleen Callan
Wistar’s Women & Science Program Video
Highlighting the importance of women in basic and clinical research while addressing the challenges related to women’s health and raising funds to support Wistar science.