The Wistar Institute is committed to training scientists to engage in rigorous, collegial, high-caliber, and ethical research, in their pursuit of better outcomes for human disease.
Our postdoctoral fellows have gone on to highly successful careers at major academic institutions as well as many pharmaceutical and biotech companies.
Postdoctoral fellows at Wistar carry out cutting-edge biomedical research in a world-class facility and benefit from:
- Research mentorship by one of the Institute’s faculty members who are leaders in the fields of cancer biology, cancer immunology, genomics, infectious disease research and next-generation vaccine and immunotherapy development.
- A well-rounded training program aimed toward establishing successful independent research careers.
- A highly collegial and intimate setting for research training that is surrounded by a larger, thriving academic community, including the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
- A dedicated Training Committee to help guide and inform our trainees.
- Outstanding benefits and a competitive salary.
Funding is available from two National Institutes of Health (NIH) training grants at Wistar, and there are several awards for trainee excellence.
Wistar is home to the Wistar-Schoemaker International Postdoctoral Fellowship, an international training program in collaboration with Leiden University for Ph.D. graduates from the Netherlands.
Life as a postdoc at The Wistar Institute
Wistar postdoctoral fellows are integral members of the Trainee Association that promotes professional development and social events and raises funds for travel fellowships.
Wistar trainees are also eligible for resources offered by the Office of Biomedical Postdoctoral Programs (BPP) at the University of Pennsylvania.