Wistar’s original building, constructed in 1894 and today still a part of the Institute’s research facility, was designed by Philadelphia architects George W. and William G. Hewitt, and sits at the corner of 36th and Spruce streets. The Institute is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the historic university area, and is also recognized by a historic marker from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
When The Wistar Institute was built in 1894, it was state-of-the-art. Wistar’s scientific scope grew with the years, and in 1975, Wistar added a cancer research building and vivarium.
In 2011, Wistar began to renovate the cancer research building and construct an adjacent seven-story research tower. The new research tower, named for Robert and Penny Fox, will house five new laboratory floors, increasing the number of labs from 30 to 40.